Monday, June 13, 2011

3-Cake Weekend - Part II

The second cake in my 3-cake weekend was for one of my good friend's daughter's 3rd birthday party.  After trying to dissuade her daughter for weeks from having a princess-themed party (even telling Marley that "I don't think Whitney can make a princess cake" to which Marley replied "yes she can!"), my friend Brandie finally surrendered to the princess party. So, a very special princess cake for a very special little girl was in order!  Brandie had already purchased this adorable princess cupcake kit from Williams-Sonoma for me to draw inspiration from, which made the design process easy.


I decided that I would make three-dimensionsal flowers to match those on the princess dresses and cupcake liners.  And the piece de resistance would be a princess crown on top of the cake of course!  I made the crown by drawing a template on parchment paper (as you would if you were making a paper crown), laid the template over white fondant and cut out the shape using an exacto knife.  Then I wrapped the fondant crown around an empty oatmeal container and let stand upright to dry overnight.  Once dry, I applied decorations.  I also gave the crown a dusting of luster dust to give it that golden glow.  Here it is in its beginning stages:

The finished princess cake - chocolate cake with vegan raspberry "buttercream":






Happy birthday Marley!!



No comments:

Post a Comment