Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March Madness

My sincerest apologies to my three followers!  It seems I have really dropped the ball with this whole blogging thing.  I mean, what respectable blogger goes almost a month without a single post?!  I have to blame it on the fact that March has been an unusually busy month for me.  There was spring break, SXSW here in Austin, two new babies for two good friends and a ton of birthdays. During all of this busy-ness, I can't believe I even had time to bake, but I made it work and produced some of my best work to date!

At the beginning of the month my brother in-law Jeramy asked me to make another batch of app cupcakes to bring in to his office during SXSW interactive week.  He sent me a list of 15 apps to choose from.  It was a hard choice, so I decided to make all 15 times 2 (he needed 30).  This time around I opted to color my own fondant which ended up being less expensive than buying the pre-colored variety and there was a broader range of color (the colors looked so much more vibrant too.  From now on I am always dying my own fondant, even if it takes twice as long!)  The whole process from drawing everything out on paper to baking the cupcakes to decorating took me an entire week of working here and there around the kids.  I am very pleased with the end result and would welcome the opprtunity to do it again.

Here is the finished product.  Chocolate and vanilla cupcakes with chocolate and vanilla buttercream.



Fondant and royal icing apps from left to right/top to bottom (sorry for the sideways picture...I can't figure out how to rotate it):  Flickr, StumbleUpon, ipod, Gowalla, Skype, Youtube, MMS, Mail, Phone, Facebook

Fondant and royal icing apps clockwise from top: Twitter, Pandora, API logo (Academic Programs International, Wordpress, Hoot Suite (my favorite).

Next up, my husband's 30th birthday cake.  I had really high hopes for this cake.  I brainstormed for several weeks about different themes that I could do and how I would go about implementing them.  When it was all said and done, I just ran out of time and energy and opted to do something simpler.  Sometimes simpler is better, if it means saving your sanity!

Chocolate cake with chocolate filling and peanut butter frosting topped with chocolate buttercream border and Justin's peanut butter cups.  My son is responsible for the dinosaur on top.  I think it was the perfect touch!

One thing I learned while making this cake is to ALWAYS level your cake layers.  Even if you think you can get away without leveling them, do it anyway.  I managed to fill in the gaps with frosting pretty well, but it took an inordinate amount of time and I feared that this would surely end up on cake wrecks.  Not quite a cake wreck, but not my best work either.  At least the birthday boy was happy!

Finally, I was asked to do another Iron Man cake.  I wanted to change things up a bit, so I made Iron Man's face a little larger and added some more detail.  I had some left over batter when I made the cake, which I used for accompanying cupcakes.  I am incredibly pleased with the end result.  My best cake to date maybe.

Vanilla butter cake with vanilla buttercream.


Fondant detail on cupcakes.


Happy birthday Hutton!

And so concludes my March Madness.  Stay tuned for April.  I have my sister's birthday, a cupcakes and cocktails party and possibly a wedding cake...yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there I was at Hutton's birthday and I must say the cake was amazing. I never would have guessed you made it, I didn't realize you know Dennis and Liz, what a small world.
    Raina

    ReplyDelete